After an emerge --sync that appeared to work with no problems, my
"emerge -auvND world" command is reporting that the Changelong files
are broken for about 2/3 of the packages it wants to update:

!!! Digest verification failed:
!!! /usr/portage/dev-libs/libxml2/ChangeLog
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got: 5221
!!! Expected: 5038

!!! Digest verification failed:
!!! /usr/portage/app-text/iso-codes/ChangeLog
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got: 4195
!!! Expected: 4014

[ ... and so on for another dozen or so packages ... ]

I removed the emerge timestamp, sync'ed again, and got the same
result.  Based on past experiences, I'm guessing that if I wait a day
or two and sync again the problems will go away.

But I am curious what causes these temporary breakages.  Does anybody
know how this happens?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Why is it that when
                                  at               you DIE, you can't take