walt <w41...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 23:39:01 +0100
> lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:

>> Well, ok, the file is still locked.
>>
>> 'group-' looks like a backup, and 'group.lock' contains 10563, which
>> is the pid of groupadd.  I'd think that's ok.
>>
>> So what all does it take to create a system group?  I suppose I could
>> kill groupadd and the emerging might go on, though I wonder what the
>> problem might be and if something else besides making an entry to
>> /etc/group needs to be done.  What might require an indefinite delay
>> here?
>
> Any unusual network activity?  (DNS lookups that shouldn't be
> happening, etc.)

There's nothing suspicious in the firewall log and no unexpected DNS
queries.

The emerge before this one was apache, which I suppose also creates a
system group, and that worked just fine.

I'll probably reboot today or tomorrow because I need to have a
differently configured kernel running to be able to do some traffic
shaping.  If I do that, I'll probably just kill groupadd and see if the
merging continues.