Hi,

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:52:20 +0100 lee wrote:
> it seems I might be missing some kernel modules:
>

> ,----
> | heimdali ~ # tc filter add dev ppp0 parent ffff: protocol all prio 10 basic
> police mpu 64 rate 16000kbit burst 10kb action drop
> | RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
> | We have an error talking to the kernel
> | heimdali ~ #
> `----
>

> This is a filter shorewall would add.  I have enabled options as shown
> in [1].  How can I find out which modules I'm missing, or what else went
> wrong?

See your dmesg after such command, it usually contains a hint on
what is wrong. Also it is much better to write iptables / iproute /
tc rules manually then using high level generators like shorewall —
this will give you a good understanding on what is going on and how
to optimize or tighten your setup.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko