On Saturday 19 Dec 2015 17:15:04 Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
> > Have you tried this firmware package instead, sys-firmware/amdgpu-ucode?
> >
> > Do you have the firmware included in your kernel config file?
> >
> > Device Drivers  --->
> >
> >     Generic Driver Options  --->
> >
> >         -*- Userspace firmware loading support
> >         [*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
> >
> >             (amdgpu/<YOUR-MODEL>.bin radeon/<YOUR-MODEL>.bin)
> >             (/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory
> >
> > Yes I have the firmware includes, I'll try the amdgpu-ucode and report
> > back.
> >

> > -------------
> >

> > Mission successful!  Thanks everyone, it appears the missing sdma1.bin
> > from linux-firmware is contained in amdgpu-ucode and after switching
> > everything is running fine.
>
> Good to hear.
>
> Thanks for letting us know.

This is not working for me on a Kaveri system.

The wiki page suggests these firmware blobs:

radeon/kaveri_ce.bin radeon/kaveri_me.bin radeon/kaveri_mec2.bin
radeon/kaveri_mec.bin radeon/kaveri_pfp.bin radeon/kaveri_rlc.bin
radeon/kaveri_sdma1.bin radeon/kaveri_sdma.bin radeon/kaveri_uvd.bin
radeon/kaveri_vce.bin

Unfortunately, radeon/kaveri_sdma1.bin does not seen to be available when I
use sys-kernel/linux-firmware:

find /lib/firmware/radeon/ -iname KAVERI*sdma*
/lib/firmware/radeon/kaveri_sdma.bin
/lib/firmware/radeon/KAVERI_sdma.bin

I installed sys-firmware/amdgpu-ucode, but KAVERI is not found there either:

find /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ -iname *sdma*
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/carrizo_sdma.bin
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/carrizo_sdma1.bin
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/fiji_sdma.bin
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/fiji_sdma1.bin
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/tonga_sdma.bin
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/tonga_sdma1.bin
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/topaz_sdma.bin
/lib/firmware/amdgpu/topaz_sdma1.bin

Building the recommended blobs fails like so:

# make && make modules_install && make firmware_install
  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
  CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
kernel/Makefile:135: *** No X.509 certificates found ***
make[1]: *** No rule to make target '/lib/firmware//radeon/kaveri_sdma1.bin',
needed by 'firmware/radeon/kaveri_sdma1.bin.gen.o'.  Stop.
Makefile:947: recipe for target 'firmware' failed
make: *** [firmware] Error 2

What now?

PS.  As VIDEO_CARDS in make.conf I used to have radeon and radeonsi, but have
now changed it to amdgpu and radeonsi.  Should I revert and forget about
radeon/kaveri_sdma1.bin?
--
Regards,
Mick