waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote:

>   This happens when I try to "Save As" from Gnumeric or Gimp or
> AbiWord. I select a directory and try to navigate into it by left
> clicking on the folder icon.  Nothing happens.  If I madly left-click
> away on it for 15 or 20 seconds, the folder finally opens up.  There
> has got to be an easier way.  Note: I'm running ICEWM, not GNOME.
> Gnumeric/Gimp/Abiword are GNOME apps that I'd happily get rid of, if
> the alternatives weren't worse.

I never had this problem with Gimp or any other gtk2 based program.

I'm using XFCE and have no Gnome installed. Works perfect. Many years
ago I used Gimp with KDE3. Also without problems.

Never used Gnumeric or Abiword. I'm using Libreoffice instead.

I don't know what kind of work you do with Gimp. So I can't give you
a recommendation for a replacement. What I can say is that you will
not find a program for Linux with the same features as Gimp. But
depending on what you wanna do you will maybe find some other tool
that will meet your demands.

Btw: I don't think that Gimp is a Gnome app. It just has some
dependencies that also Gnome has, but it can be installed and used
without Gnome.

--
Regards
wabe