Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 7:57 PM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:

>>> As I mentioned in my previous email - they just hand all their
>>> employees laptops.  Control the hardware, control the software,
>>> control the security...
>>
>> I mean instead of rdp.  It's a simple solution which works really well
>> on a LAN with Windoze.  What's the equivalent that works with Linux?
>
> Well, I've never been in a company that runs Linux on the desktop, or
> which even provides VDIs for Windows.

I'm doing that at work, and nothing speaks against doing it on the
thin-clients other than that the users would need to get used to it and
the poor graphics performance --- you can't really call that
"performance" --- of thin clients.  Other than that, we'd be much better
off.

What we would need are cheap thin clients that can drive at least two 4k
displays each, and there are none that could even drive one.  I don't
understand why they make thin-clients that aren't usable because their
graphics "performance" is from the '90ies.

> The most common solution is to provide windows laptops to users with
> various software packages for management/security/etc.

Laptops have slightly better graphics and add a maintenance overhead
thin-clients don't have, and they cost more.  Other than that, they
could replace the thin-clients, and nothing speaks against putting
Gentoo onto them.

Desktop machines require too much electricity.  That's another thing I
don't understand:  Why can't they finally manufacture hardware which is
really power efficient /and/ provides decent performance?

> The closest thing to RDP for Linux that I'm aware of us various
> NX-based implementations, like x2go, which I've mentioned a few times.
> It can be somewhat finicky.  And of course there is VNC, which is much
> less efficient.  I don't think either really gets to the level of RDP
> in general.
>
> I do sometimes wonder how the #1 server OS in the world somehow lacks
> decent facilities for graphical remote login, and for sharing files
> across the network.  (For the latter NFS is a real pain to set up in a
> remotely secure fashion - part of the problem is that it is hard to
> use some kind of a UUID to drive file permissions, and kerberos/etc is
> a pain to set up.  There is certainly nothing approaching the ease of
> just setting a password on a share or connecting to a windows domain
> (even a samba-driven one)).

Indeed, it's really strange that there's such a big lack.