> Anyone who boots directly to X'doze without first going through a safe
> console login is a raging mad lunatic who needs his head examined. This
> is linux we are talking about. It's crap. It always has been crap, and
> it always will be crap. Never ever ever trust it. I leave my computer on
> continuously because booting it is such a risk. Every single time I load
> X'doze and find that my keyboard and mouse are working I ghasp with
> surprise. The linux developers, or the penguins as I like to call them
> are so smug on the sublime superiority of the open source approach that
> they never bother to design essential things such as fail-safe design,
> fallback drivers, stable apis so that it doesn't just die if it's not
> compiled against this specific point release. ... You know, the kind of
> things that any competent programmer would think about. =|
>

> Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since an emerge-update-world on my notebook the keyboard
> > does no longer respond in X. This is extremely annoying
> > because when I have xdm in rc-update, X is started right at
> > boot. I have no chance to get back to the console using
> > Ctrl-Alt-F1, and the device in unusable.
> >
> > Yet, this is only a problem of the boot process. At home,
> > when I ssh into the system, I can do an
> >
> >   # /etc/init.d/xdm restart
> >
> > and from that point on the keyboard works. It is even
> > possible to disable xdm in rc-update and start it after the
> > boot process has completed. I solved the problem temporarily
> > this way, but the problem probably is a bug and should be
> > reported.
> >
> > So I have a closer look. When I diff "Xorg.0.log" and
> > "Xorg.0.log.old" (after removing the time stamps) I find one
> > line that doesn't appear in the log of the working X.
> >
> >   (EE) kbd: Keyboard0: failed to set us as foreground pgrp
> (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
> >
> > What does this mean? I estimate that "us" is the personal
> > pronoun and not a keyboard layout, and that the server tries
> > to do some chgrp on some /dev/*. I have no clue what to try
> > next.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> --
> IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.
>
> Powers are not rights.

... or you may provide checking points, like a script to run all "emerge
world" processes automatically,

Open source and Linux' software begins with the premisse you know what you
are doing, as if you issue a "rm -fR /" you will get exactly what you have
asked for, a dead system, no "are you sure?" questions will ring.

Those "craps" made me learn a lot!

Best regards,
Francisco