> When I do emerge --search openoffice it does not show a 2.0 version as
> being available. Is this because I need to "unmask" something or because
> nothing past 1.1.4 is available in the ports yet?

cornholio configures # eix openoffice
* app-office/openoffice-bin
     Available versions:  1.1.1 1.1.4-r1 1.1.5 [M]2.0.0_rc1
     Installed:           none
     Homepage:            http://www.openoffice.org/

Clearly it is out there, but it is hard-masked, which is a fairly good
indication that you shouldn't play around with it just yet.

Source-based distro does not appear to be available, but you can check the
bugs database to see if an ebuild has been submitted.  Also look to the
gentoo wiki for alternate ebuild sources, there may be one floating around
out there somewhere.