On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:05:45 +0200, hw wrote:

> > However, the man page also advises against giving the password on the
> > command line (because it is then available to anyone with normal user
> > shell access while the command is running) and suggests using either
>
> I need to use it with a script for automatic downloads, so the password
> wouldn't appear in the history.  Using a ~/.netrc would create a
> dependency on the user who runs the script, which is something I would
> prefer to avoid.

It's not just the history, the password appears in the putput from ps
while the transfer is running.

> > ~/.netrc, which you have already said works, or $LFTP_PASSWORD along
> > with --env-password. Have you tried this?
> >
> > LFTP_PASSWORD='pass(word' lftp --env-password -u user
> > ftp://example.com
>
> Thanks, that looks like a good solution.  I'll see if that works ...

If that doesn't work, you could always sidestep the issue by changing the
password to "password1" ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Programmer (n): A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing
with inanimate objects.