Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> 12.04.2016 08:38, Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Well, I went and did it.
>
> So I went and did it, too.
> Thank gods I made a backup. After emerging plasma-meta which wasn't
> too easy because of dependency hell with eg networkmanager (Use-flag
> on plasma-meta was off but it turned out that another dependency
> (`plasma-workspace`) has a quite irrelevant use-flag (`geolocation`)
> which pulls in networkmanager) and ruby and all, I just got a black
> screen with a sole mouse pointer. When I click mouse buttons, it
> flickers and shows a glimpse of what the desktop should be, but then
> again switches to black screen. I tried to remove ~/.kde4 but nothing
> effectively changed.
> Thanks but No thanks, I prefer to restore my backup. Not gonna repeat
> this at home.

I'm not sure on where you got the black screen.  If it is when X
started, did you switch to sddm or some other compatible display
manager?  The old kdm isn't supported and from what I read, doesn't
work.  That may explain the black screen.

If it after you login, did you select the write session?  At first, I
wasn't sure which one to pick.  There is a couple at least KDE related.
I think I had one that said plasma and one that said KDE wayland.  I
have seen wayland talked about and tried it but I got a black screen.  I
had to restart xdm to reset it.  Then I chose plasma from the list and
it worked.  So, make sure you pick the right one.

I might add, I don't solely depend on KDE for my desktop.  I have
Fluxbox and some other one as a backup.  If for some reason KDE doesn't
work, I use one of the backup desktops to get help.  Sometimes, it can
be something simple to fix which is better than losing everything that
was already done.  For me, it doesn't matter what that backup is as long
as my web browser and email program will run and is usable.  If I have
that, I can google and if needed post on this list for help.

Dale

:-)  :-)