Francisco Ares wrote:

> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>>:
>
>     Francisco Ares wrote:
>     > Hi, All.
>     >
>     > After some issues (some not yet solved, but on the way...), there is
>     > one pretty annoying: regular users have to provide root password in
>     > order to mount a flash drive, for instance.
>     >
>     > Am I missing something?  Found some posts on the net, but none has
>     > given enough light on the subject.
>     >
>     > Thank you,
>     > Francisco
>

>     I just plugged a couple sticks into mine.  It didn't even
>     recognize one
>     and the other gave me a permission error.  It says I am not authorized
>     to mount the device.  So, same problem as you.  As someone else
>     posted,
>     I suspect this is a problem with a group setting.  The only new
>     group I
>     have listed is sddm which is the display manager.  Surely that
>     wouldn't
>     have anything to do with this.  I might add, my camera works.  I have
>     uploaded some pics just yesterday.  Could this be device specific?
>     Also, my phone is recognized as well.  It seems only USB sticks are
>     affected here.
>
>     Dale
>
>     :-)  :-)
>

> On KDE 4, it was ok, it mounted removable media in
> /run/[username]/[medialabel] , as the users were already in "plugdev"
> group and, just in case, the "disk" group as well - and they are there
> up to now.
>
> Talking about "plugdev" could it be that removing parts of KDE4 in
> order to replace them with parts of KDE5 removed any udev rules?
>
> Going to look into this.
>
> Thanks!
> Francisco

Since the only new group I have is sddm, I wouldn't think it was a group
but it acts like it.  A change in udev would sound more likely given
that my camera and phone works just fine.  You may have came up with a
good place to look into.

It worked before the plasma switch here too.  This is a recent change.
I don't recall a eudev upgrade here tho.  Logs don't show it either.

     Thu Oct 22 02:45:38 2015 >>> sys-fs/eudev-3.1.5
       merge time: 1 minute and 2 seconds.

     Tue Apr 12 21:25:29 2016 >>> sys-fs/eudev-3.1.5
       merge time: 2 minutes and 12 seconds.

That last one was just a rebuild from when I did my emerge -e world the
other day.  Before that was months ago.  Still, something changed
somewhere.

Dale

:-)  :-)