Wes Gray schreef:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 01:21:37PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
>
>> With revdep-rebuild it tries to remerge the same version that you
>> have installed.  If your version is no longer in the portage tree,
>>  then "there are no ebuilds to satisfy" your old version.  You
>> should update to versions that currently exist in the portage tree.
>>

> I don't follow why python was out of date though.  I had emerged it
> recently. I finally had to upgrade it to the older 2.2 version to get
>  revdep-rebuild to work which makes no sense to me.

Python is one of the apps which use SLOTs. This means that you can
'upgrade' Python without disturbing the previous version, as the
'upgrade' is installed alongside the original version, in a new SLOT,
rather than replacing it. SLOTted installs are designated by [ NS] (for
New Slot) rather than [ N] (New) or [ U] (Upgrade) in the emerge listing
(if you emerge with --pretend or --ask so that you can see what Portage
is going to do before it does it, which is always a good idea, preferably
with --verbose as well).

So it's within the realm of possibility that you emerged whatever
version of Python into a new SLOT, and the original version still
existed, and that's what revdep-rebuild was upset about. If you aren't
using the older 2.2 version (nothing depends on it that can't work with
a more current version of python), you might consider running
python-rebuilder to migrate any stray modules and then unmerging 2.2
(since you won't need it any more).

Hope this helps.
Holly