On 05/26/2016 04:32 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Aye, there's the rub. Git is a closed book to me at the moment. Having to
> learn how to use it would at least triple my time to get up to speed. Time,
> I have plenty of (DV, as they say in religious circles), but my brain
> doesn't go nearly as well as it did 40 years ago.

You'll spend a while getting used to git, there's no way around it. You
just have to pick a project and force yourself to use git all day. All
of the commands have the wrong names:

  * Want to check out a repository? There's `git checkout`, but that's
    not what it does. You want `git clone`.

  * Want to start a new branch? There's `git branch`, but what you
    actually want is `git checkout`.

  * Want to reset the modifications you've made to a file? There's
    `git reset`, but what you really want is `git checkout`.

  * Want to merge your changes with upstream? There's `git merge`,
    but chances are, you want `git pull --rebase`.

  * Want to commit a new file? There's `git commit`, but it won't work.

...and so on.

That said, after my bicycle, git is probably the most useful piece of
technology I use on a daily basis. All of the time I spent banging my
head on my desk turned out to be well worth it. So, don't despair too much.