Thanks all. I think this info would make a good wiki or something.
There are sort of two cases:

1) You want to wipe some drive that's a peripheral part of the system.
You're going to keep the system so you can use portage, etc.

2) You want to wipe the whole system. You need to wipe root so you
want to use something on the install disk, such as dd.

Since I was doing the second option I used dd, ran it twice, blew all
the partitions away, and formatted it with fat32, blew that away, did
dd one more time, and then installed Windows for the guy who bought
the machine. If he can find my old data more power to him!

Again, thanks a lot for all the good responses. I'd like to take the
time and try them all on a 1394 drives one of these days just to see
how they all work.

Cheers,
Mark