Jonathan Callen wrote:
> On 06/09/2016 10:00 AM, Dale wrote:
>> waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:16:57AM -0500, Dale wrote
>>>   You need *A* device-manager.  You can use udev, eudev, static-dev,
>>> mdev, whatever, but you need something.  Mind you, some software assumes
>>> or requires udev/eudev.
>>>

>> What I was referring to was if during this switch from udev to eudev,
>> someone rebooted without any dev manager at all.  In other words, emerge
>> -C udev and then reboot before emerging eudev or some other dev
>> manager.  I suspect that would get interesting pretty quick.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> Actually, you no longer need a user-space device manager at all, unless
> you want to be able to access device nodes under /dev as a user that
> isn't UID=0 or has CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE.  The kernel provides a devtmpfs
> filesystem that will have every single device node that udev used to
> create (udev no longer even creates the devices -- it just relies on
> devtmpfs doing so), but most of them will be owned by 0:0 (root:root)
> with permissions 0600; excepting certain nodes like /dev/null or
> /dev/zero, which will be owned by 0:0 with permissions 0666.  One other
> thing that udev does that you might rely on is to create symlinks like
> /dev/disk/by-label/*, which can be used by mount(8) if you specify
> LABEL=foo in /etc/fstab.  The only other things that I'm aware of udev
> doing is to rename network devices and (possibly) to notify other
> applications of changes, somehow (but I'm not sure that it actually does
> that).
>
> If you don't actually need any of that (you are working on an embedded
> system where you only need root anyway, for instance), then you can just
> use a bare devtmpfs without a device manager changing permissions,
> adding links, etc.

That's interesting to read.  I recall reading about the devtmpfs in the
kernel but thought that was for just the very early stages of booting,
reading /boot to get the kernel and such things required to start the
boot process.  I figured once it got started, it would eventually get to
a point and sort of hang up because it couldn't find devices to read to
keep going.

Interesting.  Still don't want to test the theory tho.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)