<marco <at> nucleus.it> writes:

> I have a profile for my config , additional ebuilds , packages etc but
> i'm looking for the best way to have a production-profile and a
> devel-profile.

Your not alone.

> Better have two separeted git , one for production and one for devel ?
> or better one git and use branch functions ?

Good question.

> With Layman and two git repo i can sync each repo when i want and i can
> enable/disable one of them to switch from/to production/devel .

> I don't know how to do that directly with git.

OK, so I have mentioned the need for a structured (preferred or suggested)
pathway for users to use git, in all of the common needs, the gentoo-way.
Aka, a document or collection of docs in the gentoo-wiki, related to common
user usages all the way through becoming a 'stong-user' and into the
proxy-maint system. I think it is time to file a bug (documentation
requests) @ bugs.gentoo.org formally requesting some documentation on
git(hub) that is gentoo specific.

That way everyone with questions, ideas and antedotes can 'pile on' and
so the process get's started to document preferred/supported ways to use git
with gentoo. There are lots of hints floating around so a FAQ or basic
document is in order, imho. But, being so vocal on this topic, I'd really
be encouraged if someone else opened up a formal (bug) request for some
basic git documentation, that is gentoo centric. Posting the bug number
back to this list could then encourage construction ideas and antedotes.

hth,
James