On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 7:40 PM, José Maldonado <josemal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> El 16/06/16 a las 13:32, Tom H escribió:
>>
>> When I first saw this, I thought "strange, maybe if Gentoo develops an
>> 'esnap' in order to build the container-package locally" but then I
>> remembered that we have docker and lxc/lxd, so why not another method?
>
> That is possible, but the goal is to serve Snap container for
> applications that can be downloaded and used by the user, down a single
> binary that will have all the dependencies in that binary. Docker and
> LXC obviously can do this, but its scope and possibilities are much
> larger and are not addressed within the scope of normal user of a PC.

With docker/lxc/lxd, you can use your own images so you should be able
to do so with snap. You lose the ability simply to add a repo and pull
an image from it.

>> When Flatpak's ready, someone'll make it available and/or package it.
>
> Flatpak is ready for use now.

Not fully.

>From fedora-devel@:

<begin>
> Isn't flatpak in gnome-software pushed back to F25 ?

It partly supports Flatpak in F24. You can manage already installed
apps, but you still need to use flatpak command to install them. In
F25, you will be able to just download .flatpak file, double-click it
and Software will install it and set its repo.
</end>

and

<begin>
I think that once the full sandboxing / portal system is in place,
there _will_ be a tangible reason to prefer Flatpak.
</end>

>> [AFAIK, Flatpak's for GUI apps accessed via Gnome Software so it's not
>> quite a Snap competitor.]
>
> Flatpak and Snap, have GUI and command-line. In addition, Flatpak
> packages weigh less than their counterparts Snap, and right now several
> free software projects officially support it, including LibreOffice.

i wasn't referring to the "installer." The Flatpak intention's to
package GUI apps only.