Mark Shields wrote:

> Sane defaults? Sounds a bit redundant to me. You will have to
> tweak the kernel sources since your not using genkernel (my
> experience with Redhat is minimal, I assume they use a type of
> generic kernel?). There's no way around it. Short story, if you
> want "sane defaults", stick with the genkernel.
>
> On 10/1/05, *John Jolet* < [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> wrote:
>
> I've got a farm of 32-bit redhat 7 web servers that we're about
> to start
> migrating to gentoo on amd64 servers. One question my boss had
> that I can't
> seem to answer is this. Redhat kernels are supposedly tuned for
> "sane
> defaults" and I've done no "tuning" at all on the gentoo
> boxes. Using gentoo
> sources and NOT genkernel, can anyone give me some hints about
> what I need to
> look at? I'd be very embarrased if I replaced older 32-bit
> redhat 7 boxes
> with 64-bit gentoo boxes and the migration failed because I
> didn't change
> some parameter to tweak these guys for apache/zope.
> --
> John Jolet
> Your On-Demand IT Department
> 512-762-0729
> www.jolet.net <http://www.jolet.net>
> --
>

> --
> - Mark Shields

IIRC, RedHat kernels are relatively generic in that they have almost
everything turned on, and/or build the modules so that they can
maximize the hardware compatibility.  So it is likely that there will
be tones of stuff that was turned on, or had modules build for it,
that you didn't need.  The same will likely be the case for the gentoo
kernel.  You're best bet is to spend the time on one system going
through each kernel option (within reason), if you don't know what it
does, read the help and/or turn it off (it will give a recommended
setting in the Help).  Once you've got your config, use that to build
the kernels for the rest fo your systems.

I know it's a lot of work, but once you've done it, subsequent
configs/compiles for kernel upgrades, security patches, etc. will go
MUCH faster.  1)  Because you'll have a pre-defined kernel config.  2)
You'll know what most of the kernel options are (at least
superficially) and which ones you need enabled.  You'll just have to
read the help for any new ones that pop up.  ;-)

HTH

- --
gentux
echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40  9795 2D81 924A
6996 0993