On 11/07/2016 00:06, Philip Webb wrote:
The proliferation of pkgs in KDE, Gnome, Perl + other areas
is going to become a problem for Gentoo,
as they will tend to demand more dev attention
& will also add to users' burden in keeping track of what they use + need.

I disagree. My burden is maintaining KDE is about the same through major versions 3, 4 and 5. Nowadays I mostly list the 30 or so KDE apps I actually use in a set, and the USE flags for stuff I have and can use go in make.conf. The ebuilds then take care of things and mostly get it right. When I say "mostly", I really mean a big percentage with lots of 9's in it[1]

It's important to realise that these new packages are not new software, they are existing software broken up into smaller more atomic chunks.

Example, in KDE-3 we had packages kde, and kde-*-meta. These were no atomic, they were "bunches of stuff sort-of somewhat related" like games, network and so on. When you break that up into lots of small packages, the burden goes *down*, in much the same way that software becomes easier when you refactor a giant main() with many global vars into many small self contained functions.

I have many times observed comments on -dev where kde maintainers bitch loudly about how difficult it is to maintain the large monolithic kde packages of versions <5. All this seems to add up to the opposite of what you are claiming.

Alan

[1] Be careful not to commit the human problem of remembering the few times the ebuild got it wrong (especially when using ~arch), and not remembering, or not seeing at all, the many many many times it didn't