On 07/13/2016 05:41 PM, James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On 13/07/2016 20:25, James wrote:
>>>>
>>> So, today I ran a sync and upgrade to a gentoo workstation::
>>> emerge -uvDNp world
>>>
>>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
>>> WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency
>>> conflict:
>>>
>>> media-libs/jasper:0
>>>
>>>    (media-libs/jasper-1.900.1-r9:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>>> conflicts with
>>>      media-libs/jasper:0/0=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by
>>> (x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.32.3:2/2::gentoo, installed)
>>>
>>>      media-libs/jasper:=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by
>>> (x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.32.3:2/2::gentoo, installed)
>>
>> This is not a blocker.
>>
>> Read the warning, it says an update or rebuild was skipped due to a
>> dependency conflict. In your casejasper-1.900.1-r9 was not done due to
>> gdk-pixbuf requirements. Presumably, what you already have keeps pixbuf
>> happy
>>
>> Blockers in that output usually have "!!" annotations at the beginning.
>
> Ah excellent point, but the build did not move forward with::
> ' emerge -uvDN world' either. With the --tree it did move forward with
> the build update. In the first attempt usually the packages to be built
> are listed, conflicts or blockers.
>
> None of these 3 packages where listed in the first attempt to see
> what needs to be built::
> Not 'sys-devel/llvm', nor 'sys-devel/clang', nor 'media-libs/mesa'.
>
> <snip>

>>> I did nothing manual in between. Explanations?
>> portage is doing what's expected. You don't have -a in the command line
>> and there's nothing stopping portage from moving forward with the build.
>> SO it moved forward with the build.
>
> Yes, nothing to do with 'media-libs/jasper' nor 'gdk-pixbuf'. So I guess the
> --tree option got rid of the these (conflicts issues. My point is that this
> is remarkably better than how things worked in the past (but not certain
> when these enhancements were made).

The --tree command didn't get rid of them. Those packages that you where able
to build conflict with other packages that would have been considered with the
- --newuse flag. So the conflict is still there waiting to be resolved.

Maybe portage could've been a little smarter and determine on the first command
that yes there is a conflict but I can still build these 3 packages with what
you already have. Or maybe that's a bad idea because you may have to rebuild
some of those packages once the conflict is resolved and all packages updated.

Maybe the 1st command should've given you a list of skipped packages. That would
make it way less confusing and easier to resolve the conflicts. It is especially
confusing because instinctively you would expect the results with --newuse to be
a superset of the results without it.