Hi all,

I have a PIII 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, Finances are somewhat tight (read that as very tight) but I could do with some more speed when playing with python scripts + KDE can be a tad sluggish.

The processor is going to have to be either a ...

Intel Celeron 2.4GHz 128K 400MHz Socket 478 CPU OEM - 512MB RAM
AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0GHz (333FSB) 256K Cache Socket A OEM - 512 MB RAM

The GHz sound impressive but I know neither chip is a very powerful, I believe they 'water down' the internals !. I cant find anywhere a comparison between my PIII & these two possibilitys.

My PIII is old technology, these two are newer technology with faster clock speeds but engineered to a price, would the speed increase be noticeable ? Any comments ?

Dave