On 07/19/2016 12:30 PM, Marc Joliet wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 July 2016 18:08:24 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>> Fernando Rodriguez <cyklon...@gmail.com> [16-07-19 17:44]:
> [...]
>>
>> Hi Fernando,
>>
>> thanks for your kind help! :)
>>
>> ok...I will give pulseaudio another try...(sigh)
>>
>> Before I start...
>> If my memory serves me right...is it true, that X11 starts
>> automagically pulseaudio , if it founds it?
>
> Well, not quite.
>
>> And if so: How can I prevent that?
>
> Specifically, applications that request pulseaudio (via dbus, IIUC) will
> cause
> it to start automatically, regardless of whether they're graphical or not
> (e.g., on my home server MPD causes pulseaudio to start).  This can, however,
> be prevented by setting "autospawn=no" in .config/pulse/client.conf.

That too. I don't know if x11 forwarding uses dbus activation though and with
a minimal setup he won't have any programs to start it.

>> Next problem is: that armbian offers a LOT of pulseaudio
>> related packages...any hint what I need to install as a
>> minimalistic solution (this is an embedded device with
>> far less resources and far less hoursepower...)?
>
> I have no experience here, sorry.
>
>> And: What do I need to install on my GENTOO PC?
>
> Well, at minimum media-sound/pulseaudio.  I'm not sure of anything to
> recommend here, so I'll defer to the Gentoo wiki:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio.  Also see the upstream
> documentation:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/.  In
> particular check out the module documentation, since if you go the pulseaudio
> route you'll probably be setting up a tunnel, so I would suggest searching
> there for "tunnel" (although I'm not up to speed on what's currently possible
> in PA land, so maybe there's a better way).

I think you just need the pulseaudio with the X and alsa use flags (and any
other
flags you need to get it to emerge). I don't know exactly cause I just noticed
that
I have a lot more stuff enabled than I need. You definitely don't want
alsa-plugin or
your ALSA programs will use pulseaudio.