On 27/07/16 00:10, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On 26/07/2016 18:01, Andrew Lowe wrote:
Hi all,
    I can remember in the distant past that I had to have my modem
turned on before the computer otherwise, I wouldn't get an IP address.
Then something changed. One day I forgot to turn on the modem first. I
turned the machine on then realised the modem wasn't on, I turned it,
the modem, on and prepared to reboot the machine only to see an IP
address appear.

    It appeared that dhcp was now periodically attempting to get an
address whereas in the past, if on boot it didn't find one, that was it,
it just gave up. It appears that my machine has now, for some reason
reverted to "the olden days" of IP address allocation. No modem at boot,
no IP address. Reboot the machine, with the modem continuing to run, and
I get an IP address. When I have no IP address, I can run "dhcpcd
restart" and I'll get one.

    Anyone got any idea as to what has changed? What should I be looking
for to fiddle to get my preferred behaviour, modem/machine startup in
any order and I'll get an IP address. Is there a dchp "polling time" or
something similar that I need to set to get this running nicely again?

    Thoughts greatly appreciated,
        Andrew

There's no single global default, that is set is whatever dhcp client
you are using. Which one is it?

dhcpcd