On Thursday 28 Jul 2016 18:36:52 David Haller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016, James wrote:
> [..]
>
> Well, the best I found is this on the gdisk homepage:
> http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html
>
> Basically, you shouldn't. The article tackles most aspects and
> pitfalls.
>
> [..]
> > #parted -l /dev/sda
> > Model: ATA WDC WD20EARX-00P (scsi)
> > Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
> > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
                                                         ^^^^^^
It seems you did not use gdisk or a late version of parted to created the
partition table?  Modern partition tools align the logical and physical
sectors to 4096B.

> > Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags
> > 1      1049kB  211MB   210MB   primary  ext2            boot

Instead of ext2 follow the guide for creating a FAT fs partition with an EF00
partition type.

> > 2      211MB   139GB   138GB   primary  linux-swap(v1)
> > 3      139GB   952GB   813GB   primary  ext4
> > 4      952GB   2000GB  1049GB  primary  ext4
>
> You'd have to get rid of one of those partitions (I'd say /boot).

James should set the boot flag in the partition table for /dev/sda1 and mount
it under /boot (or /boot/EFI) in fstab.

--
Regards,
Mick