On Sunday 02 October 2005 08:25 pm, Mike Williams wrote:
> On Monday 03 October 2005 00:49, Dave Nebinger wrote:
> > > The likely explanation is that ant-core is not a dependency (direct or
> > > deep) of your "world" list.
> >
> > Ah, but if it is installed it must have been a dependency somewhere or in
> > place as a result of a direct emerge.
>
> At some point, yes. Doesn't mean it is so now.

Well I should have qualified it by saying that I don't clean out packages;
when I install something it is because I want to try it out and/or use it.
When I stop using the package, it still stays installed.

So the dependency should still exist and be valid.

> > Eix and emerge both knew it was installed and that it needed to be
> > updated at the point when I was going to emerge eclipse.
> >
> > So I don't think that answer covers it...
>
> Is the eix database upto date? Are you really sure ant-core is actually
> installed? You said "it wanting to emerge ant-core", that suggests to me
> that ant-core isn't installed, unless you meant "it wanting to
> upgrade/update ant-core".

Eix is updated every night after the emerge --sync completes.  You'll have to
include that output) shows that ant-core is installed.

The emerge --pretend did report that mozilla and eclipse were new, but
ant-core was an update.