Hi Mick

Mick wrote:

> On Sunday 31 Jul 2016 22:38:22 Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Hi Mick,
>>
>> Mick wrote:

>> > If after you boot your systemrescuecd you can list:
>> >
>> > /sys/firmware/efi
>> >
>> > you have booted into UEFI mode.  If not, you have booted into legacy
>> > BIOS mode.
>>
>> This machine has only plain old BIOS. The question is, why one kernel
>> detects the 3TB partition and the the other one does not. How can I prove
>> GPT support for the kernel itself.
>

> I see.  In this case have a look at /proc/config (it may be compressed) or
> depending on your version of sysrescuecd and kernel choice, have a look
> here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/systemrescuecd/code/ci/master/tree/
>
> then compare your configuration to theirs.  The kernel module for GPT is
> 'CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION' and it must be built in, rather than as a separate
> module.

Now it's getting weird.

My normal kernel (4.4.6) does not have that flag set. Nevertheless it
detects the partition. The two kernels (both 4.4.12) of systemrescue have
that flag. I've tested another machine with kernel that also has the flag
and it does not detect this partition also.

However, I have another 6TB USB drive and that one has one big partition
that is detected by both machines. The funny thing is, it reports to have
only a MBR with one partition of 6TB (same output on both kernels):

================== %< ======================
~ # parted /dev/sde print
Model: WD My Book 1230 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 6001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      8389kB  6001GB  6001GB  primary  ext4

~ # gdisk /dev/sde
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1

Partition table scan:
  MBR: MBR only
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
in memory. THIS OPERATION IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! Exit by
typing 'q' if you don't want to convert your MBR partitions
to GPT format!

Command (? for help): q

AFAICS this partition works fine, fsck does not report any problem. The
funny thing is, it should not have been possible, because of the 2GB limit
of MBR.

???

- Jörg