On 08/16/2016 02:49 PM, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
On 08/15/2016 06:02 PM, james wrote:
Well,

I brought this up before. No need for argument, just test it out
for yourself.

Multiple times (over the last few weeks) I have run  'emerge -uDNvp @world' and
there are issues to deal with manually.

For example 'One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency
conflict', type of fudd and other types of fudd is the result, not all the
time, but maybe 50% of the time.

Now, routinely, all I do is immediately issue this command
'emerge -uDt @world' and go have a coffee.  An AMD 8 core, 32G workstation does
it's thang, leaving me a with just a smile after the work is complete. No other
actions, nadda, ziltch. Immediately, I then run  'emerge -uDNvp world' (again,
and routinely I get::

"These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB"

Just try it for yourself. It's like clockwork now. Smooth. I have over 1500
packages installed on a mostly stable but hacked out /usr/local/portage/ and
maybe 10% of the packages, that are much newer, but portage is sweet, sweet,
sweet now. There is inherent magic now, but,
I do not have time to ferret it out. Sure I can dive in, manually,
and I have done this to fix things, but, 'emerge -uDt @world' fixes things,
automagically; dozens of times as I update 3 or 4 times a week.

I don't know exactly what's going on but I think something is wrong so it's not
so sweet. I think you got a conflict that's not being resolved and not being
pulled
by the second command. What happends if you add --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=30?
Also
try without the -p (I think it runs more code like autounmask etc so it may
cause
the extra output).

Is clang/llvm stuff still popping up on the list of skipped packages? I
remember a
similar conflict around the time of your first post and it turned out that the
latest
stable clang blocks the latest stable libclc. So the tree is (still) broken.
For most
users it's not a problem because portage pulls the right version of clang but
if you
have clang on your world file it updates it to the latest and you get those
conflicts.
I fixed it by masking all versions of clang >3.6

Nope, but on gentoo-dev there is a big announce about LLVM(clang).

No issues with the system, I run the latest portage and when issues popup, granted that are easy to fix, manually 'emerge -uDt world' precludes the need to fix them. Afterwards, running 'emerge -uDNvp world' just comes back completely clean. NO idea what's going on,
but *I* have verified this now dozens and of times over the recent weeks.

Instead of running 'emerge -uDNv world' I simple run 'emerge -uDt world'
and the manual (trivial) items just dissappear, it runs to completion
and all is just spanky fine. I do not have the will, nore inclination to dig deeply, but the benefit is most wonderful. ymmv.

But follow the evidence

emerge -uDNvp world
<comes back dirty, blockers and other minor issues>
emerge -Dut world
<things run; finishes up and no blockers or other issues>

emerge -uDNvp world
<comes back clean *after using -uDt>

It's just that simple:: 3 commands, no others. fabulous!