You can feed a path to an initramfs with efibootmgr's "-u" or "-@".

> It generally makes sense to use a bootloader with EFI as a result.

+1

When the switch to systemd-boot happened, I grabbed the files needed
to compile it from the systemd tarball and compiled "gummiboot-ng."
But this started failing at some point so I compiled systemd on one
system and grabbed "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi".