Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:27:46 +0200
schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com>:

> Am 30.08.2016 um 21:14 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> > On August 30, 2016 8:58:17 PM GMT+02:00, Volker Armin Hemmann
> > <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Am 30.08.2016 um 20:12 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
> >> first
>  [...]
>  [...]
> >> includes
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
> >> because exfat does not work across gentoo systems. ext2 does.
> > Exfat works when the drivers are installed.
> > Same goes for ext2.
> >
> > It is possible to not have support for ext2/3 or 4 and still have a
> > fully functional system. (Btrfs or zfs for the full system for
> > instance)
> >
> > When using UEFI boot, a vfat partition with support is required.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> ext2 is on every system

Not on mine...

> , exfat not. ext2 is very stable, tested and
> well aged. exfat is some fuse something crap. New, hardly tested and
> unstable as it gets.
>
> And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.

I consider ext2 not suitable for USB drives because it has no journal
and can break horribly if accidentally removed without unmounting (or
pulling before everything was written).

OTOH, I recommend against using filesystems with a fixed journal area
on thumb drives. Some may be optimized for NTFS usage.

A log structured filesystem (like f2fs, nilfs2) or one with wandering
journals (like reiserfs) may be best - tho I cannot speak for them
regarding accidental disconnects without unmounting first. One should
test it. Reiserfs3 worked very well for me, much better than ext[23],
when I once had to fight with a failing RAID controller (it just went
offline). All reiserfs could be recovered by fsck, only a few files had
wrong checksums, a few were missing - that system (different hardware
of course) is still in use today but converted over to xfs because
reiserfs is a really bad performer for parallel access. Ext[23] was
totally borked, fsck had no chance to recover anything. I'd consider
reiserfs3 mature.

Personally, I tend to using f2fs on thumb drives. Nilfs2 may be an
option, too. But I never used that. I have no experience with f2fs on
failing hardware, tho. But in the end: thumb drives aren't for
important data anyway. So what counts is getting the best life time out
of them.

--
Regards,
Kai