On Monday 19 Sep 2016 13:08:29 Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I'm trying to install a customised version of SysRescCD on a USB drive,
> > and
> > it's all uphill.
> >
> > The current stage has me trying to create a UEFI boot entry for it. I have
> > several entries I no longer need and I'm trying to delete them with
> > efibootmgr. This is what happens:
> >
> > # efibootmgr --remove-dups
> > BootCurrent: 0002
> > Timeout: 1 seconds
> > BootOrder: 0003,0001,0000,0002,0008,0009,0010,0014
> > Boot0000* SysRescCD
> > Boot0001* SysRescCD
> > Boot0002* Linux Boot Manager
> > Boot0003* SysRescCD
> > Boot0008* CD/DVD Drive
> > Boot0009* Hard Drive
> > Boot0010* UEFI OS
> > Boot0014* UEFI: SanDisk
> >
> > # efibootmgr --delete-bootnum 0001
> > You must specify an entry to delete (see the -b option).
> >
> > But I have - number 1. The manual says:
> >
> > -b | --bootnum XXXX
> >
> >         Modify BootXXXX (hex)
> >
> > -B | --delete-bootnum
> >
> >         Delete bootnum (hex)
> >
> > No variation of 1, 01, 0x1, 0x0001 etc. makes any difference. I know I'm
> > not as bright as I used to be, but what on earth have I got wrong? /boot
> > is mounted.
>
> The manpage seems to be incorrect; -B/--delete-bootnum does not take
> any argument. Instead, you must specify the entry number using the -b
> option.
>
> Try this:
>
> efibootmgr -b 0001 -B

I recall having a similar problem and this worked last time I tried:

efibootmgr -b 0002 --delete-bootnum Boot0002

where:

-b 002

is the entry I want to modify.

--delete-bootnum Boot0002

is what I want to do to it.  I don't remember if specifying "Boot0002" was
necessary, but it worked all the same.  I guess you can try first:

efibootmgr -b 0001 -B

as already suggested and see if this does it.  Also, before I delete a boot
stub entry, e.g. 0002, I change the boot order to make sure it is not first:
--bootorder 0003,0005,0010,0002

but I don't think it is necessary.
--
Regards,