What is a good strategy for setting use-flags to get the most out of a
fairly recent graphics card these days?

It used to be (for me at least) that I just made sure I had the latest
opengl and associated libs, and the latest mesa if my card was
supported. These days things get more complicated, especially if you
want to try out KDE and plasma alongside Gnome.

Do I just turn everything on globally (wayland egl gles gles1 gles2
opengl mesa gtk* ) , and then go through all conflicts one by one ? If
not, what flags do I set globally, and which packages do I add specific
use-flags to?

My primary desktop is just fluxbox, but occasionally I like to run both
KDE and Gnome stuff with everything turned on to the max.

I have plenty of CPU, so the stuff with "embedded" in the descriptions
sound like I should leave them alone, but when I get down to resolving
conflicts, it feels like I am going against the grain, with cascading
dependencies leading into a murky mess of details.

Some road signs, anyone?