On 10/17/2016 07:48 PM, Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku wrote:
> So far after much digging on the TV I haven't found a way to actually get it
> to do what I want.  I'm not sure if it even can.  I will look when I next get
> access to the system (currently in use by other members of the household).
> Perhaps somewhere we have a manual for it?  I really don't know.
>
> I agree, that it would be preferable to not have to make the computer fudge
> it, but if after having spent time trying to fix it on the TV itself multiple
> times, only to find that all options I have found, end up producing very
> undesirable results (such as displaying it a 4:3 aspect ratio, or a 2:1
> aspect ratio).  I'll see if I can find what I need.
>
> I do know that if I could get the TV to change the setting for that so it
> doesn't end up overscanning, without doing other "weird" stuff, it would mean
> that I could see the full boot process, not missing bits of it off the edge
> of the screen.
>
> Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku
>
> On 2016-10-17 16:47, Daniel Frey wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 04:41 PM, Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku wrote:
>>> When I connect the iMac to our HDTV TV, I can set it to underscan.  The
>>> reason that I would like to do that is because when I display at 1080p
>>> the TV ends up dropping the edges of the image off of the screen.  This
>>> isn't really a problem at all for TV, or movies or whatever displayed
>>> there, but if KDE displays the standard panel on the top or bottom, only
>>> a thin line of pixels shows where it is supposed to be (don't know about
>>> left or right as I haven't used them).  This also ends up being an issue
>>> in MATE.  Is there a way to get it to send a 1080p signal which is
>>> postboxed in the sense that black bars are being added top, bottom,
>>> left, and right?  These black bars are "outside" the interface.
>>>
>>> Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku
>>>

>> It's often far easier to set the TV to disable overscanning. Some TVs
>> it's an actual option in the menu; in others simply assigning the HDMI
>> input label as "PC" or similar will disable overscanning.
>>
>> Dan

I have three different manufacturers and each one has it, but on mine it
wasn't marked in the manual. Usually you just have to edit the input
labels. On my Samsung (I just looked), going to Settings->Input->Edit
Name and choosing DVI-PC as the name for HDMI1 disables overscanning.
The other TVs where similar (LG and Insignia.) You may need to set the
label to something different if the manufacturer of your TV is different.

Dan