On 10/4/05, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael Crute <mcrute <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > > However that directory has the same permissions as all others. (my
> > > user)
>
> > Are you sure that it has execute permissions for everyone?
>
> Um, here's a question. Does the 'apache' entry in /etc/group have
> anything to do with these permissions, in this circumstance?
>
> Where can I read more about how the /etc/group entry affects who can
> do what with apache2?
>
> Is there another file that gives greater  granularity of control over
> who can do what to an apache2 server?

The Apache process run as user apache(2?) and group apache so it will
only have access to directories owned by that user or group and who
have the appropriate permissions. The way my server is setup is that
the user who owns the vhost owns all the folders for that vhost then
the apache group also owns those folders and all files and folders
have 751 permissions. It looks something like:

var
L www
        L vhost1 -- userb/apache (751)
        L vhost 2 -- usera/apache (751)
                    L cgi-bin -- usera/apache (751)
                    L htdocs -- usera/apache (751)
                    |          L folder 1 -- usera/apache (751)
                    |          L folder 2 -- usera/apache (751)
                    |                      L file 1 -- usera/apache (751)
                    L auth -- usera/apache (751)

Hopefully that explains what you are looking for, otherwise check out
the docs at httpd.apache.org for the rest of the story.

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"