For the past several years, I've had to keep acroread installed on one
of my desktop machines because I occasionally need to use the "print
current view" feature to print a portion of a page of a PDF document
(usually a section of a sechematic or a table out of a data sheet).
Acroread is only available as a 32-bit binary and it required that
_89_ packages be built with a 32-bit ABI use flag.  [There are various
other reasons to dislike acroread, but that's the one the really
bugged me...]

When I noticed that the latest versions of Qoppa's PDFStudio has added
the "print current view" feature, I happily coughed up the $36 to
upgrade.

Emerge is now busy rebuilding those 89 packages without the 32-bit ABI
use flags.

--
Grant