Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> writes:

> On 11/19/2016 04:21 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> If you have logrotate then its configuration and associated cron jobs will
>>> take
>>> care of that.
>>
>> What I want to know is if the elog program will do something on its
>> own... I'm wanting to hang on to the logs a good while... I saw
>> something in my readings about the elog system about 7 days... was not
>> clear if that is a defalult or what.
>>
>> So my fear was losing them even if I am logrotate at them in some
>> capacity. So I'm asking about inside the elog program... what happens
>> to the logs and when.
>>

> According to make.conf.example, PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save" creates one
> log per package under $PORT_LOGDIR/elog (/var/log/portage/elog if unset).
>
> What this means is Portage will continue to use whatever path you have
> specified, and it's up to your syslogd or logrotate to determine whether
> those particular logs get deleted.
>
> I suggest looking through /etc/logrotate{.conf,.d/} and grokking things
> to determine how long your elogs will last. On my system, I noticed I
> have /etc/logrotate.d/elog-save-summary, so if you find a file like
> that, it's a good place to start. Without logrotate handling it, I see
> no reason to believe Portage will nix elog output after 7 days.
>

> In case I've missed something, could you link to the page that mentions
> 7 days? I searched through manpages and the wiki but haven't found any
> other "save" option or anything to do with elog and 7 days.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_log

[About mid page ... But this may not be considered `elogs'... ]

Next, a number of FEATURES settings influence how Portage handles build logs.

 With binpkg-logs set, even binary package deployments will have their
 logs saved

 When clean-logs is set, regular log file clean operations are
 executed. The command that is executed is defined by PORT_LOGDIR_CLEAN
 and defaults to a retention of the files of 7 days.

 With split-log set, build logs are stored in category-named
 subdirectories of ${PORT_LOGDIR}/build

  When clean-logs is set, Portage will execute the command defined by
  PORT_LOGDIR_CLEAN after every build or unmerge operation. By
  default, the following command is used: