On 2016-11-29, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't use opengl direct rendering as a normal user, but it does work
> via "sudo":
>
>   $ sudo glxinfo | head -n15
>   Password:
>   name of display: :0
>   display: :0  screen: 0
>   direct rendering: Yes
>   server glx vendor string: SGI
[...]
>   $ glxinfo
>   name of display: :0
>   libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
>   libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
[...]

Comparing strace output for the two cases showed that when glxinfo was
run as "me" the opengl library was trying to load libraires from
/usr/X11R6/lib/dri/...

For reasons lost in the mists of time, my .bashrc file contained
this culpable line:

export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/dri

Removing that did the trick...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I left my WALLET in
                                  at               the BATHROOM!!