On 10/5/05, Eric Crossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about using
portage beyond the most basic minimal commands. This seems to fall under
the "used to work" category.

In the past, I've used a "emerge system" and "emerge world" to update to
newer versions of installed software. Usually also with a "--pretend" to
see beforehand what it's going to do.

Now if I run "emerge --pretend system" or "emerge --pretend world" it
comes up with no updates to install. If I add an "--update" to the
command, it finds the updates correctly.

Is this a syntax change or just a matter of a deprecated command/default
behavior?

You should always have used the update flag. The best way to do update IMO is `emerge sync` `emerge -Davu world`. Also note you don't ever need to update system, if you do a deep update of world all the system stuff will get covered too.

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"