On 12/17/2016 09:44 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 17/12/2016 16:35, Heiko Baums wrote:
>> Am 17.12.2016 um 14:17 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
>>
>>> I'm running the Debian 7 version of Raspbian on a number of Pis, all
>>> without systemd. Yes, I am happy using systemd, but I can't be arsed
>>> changing them when they continue to work perfectly well.
>> Then explain me how this is done. Btw., Debian's and Raspbian's software
>> repositories are somewhat outdated. But that's a different Debian
>> related subject.
> It's not Neil's job to solve your problems. It's your job.
>
> Neil isn't offering a solution to you, he's trying to guide your
> thoughts in a direction where you can see solutions, so please stop
> asking him (or anyone else) to find them for you.
>
> Nobody ever guaranteed that you would have, or not have, systemd. It is
> simply there and it is what it is. Software comes and goes, but you
> always have the original promise - there is nothing in this world
> stopping you from building software the way you want it. That's what
> Stallman did - he didn't like the current landscape so did something
> about it. You have that same right.
>
> You have the right to use the code anyway you see fit. Red Hat has the
> same right, and they are only answerable to their users. Nowhere does it
> say Red Hat has to listen to you and write code for your benefit; also
> nowhere does it say that Red Hat is permitted to stop you doing whatever
> you want.
>
> So now you know what your job is, get cracking.
>
> Started coding yet?

Slight change of topic .... Or is it back to the original topic?

FYI :
Using Palemoon compiled from the overlay,
a XonarDX sound card ( 192Khz Record/Playback, 7.1 sound capable, 8
channels ),
ALSA without either PulseAudio or apulse,
JACK not being used,
No .asoundrc being used,
I am able to watch videos and HEAR them in Palemoon.
Audio with Adobe Flash works as well.
( the caveat : mplayer is compiled / mplayer.conf adjusted / nsplugin
installed )

The trick .... seems to be reading the docs for ALSA in the bundled
kernel source code docs.

1 : Make corrections to "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf"
2 : list ALL modules for ALSA/OSS in "/etc/conf.d/modules" for loading.
3 : If using "media-sound/timidity++" do the same for its modules.

I hope this information helps for those who want alternatives.