On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've grep-ped the whole of /etc, no mention of "Knoppix" there.
>
> I've also looked in /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient-enp6s8.conf to see what
> hostname NetworkManager sends to dhclient. No trace of "Knoppix" in there
> either.
>
> What else could it be creating or overriding a Local Address with one called
> "Knoppix", rather than what was set at installation time?

I connected my laptop to a friend's wifi network using dhcp and my
laptop was renamed "Tessa's iPhone". I didn't investigate further
(except that I set up a static address) but I suspect that some dhcp
servers push out a hostname along with an ip address without checking
the requester's mac address.