On Monday, December 19, 2016 09:45:21 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote :
> > On Sunday, December 18, 2016 03:11:58 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Peter Humphrey pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>

> > (I

> > > I should have done some more checking before writing. The fix was to
> >
> > emerge
> >
> > > -C kde-apps/gpgmepp. I don't know whether you can do that before
> > > starting
> > > the upgrade, but it's worth a try. It might save a lot of work.
> > >
> > > At any rate, there's no sign of gpgmepp being pulled back in with the
> > > new
> > > 16.12.0 versions of kde-apps packages, now that the old versions have
> >
> > gone.
> >
> > More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
>
> It isn't.
>
> I finished the emerge -e world, then @preserved-rebuild presented me with a
> whole lot of packages, resulting in the same appalling mess as before:
> incompatible versions being required of numerous packages. I've never had
> @preserved-rebuild follow an -e world before.

Me neither, although I do wonder if it maybe caches something somewhere.
I did just now have a preserved-rebuild after a depclean action.
(This was after a clean update and no preserved-rebuild necessary prior to the
depclean)

> I've reverted to a week-old system backup, but now when I invoke KMail I get
> a dialogue box saying "This will start the program kmail -qwindowtitle %c
> %u. If you do not trust this program, click Cancel". What? Of course I
> trust it, so I click Continue, and I get "Unable to make the service KMail
> executable, aborting execution"
>
> What could possible go wrong with a simple offline tarring of files to USB
> disk and back again? I know, I know...

Did you include all the permissions in the tar during compression and
extraction?

> Has no-one else tried this upgrade?

No, did try today, but as it has a conflict with dependencies for kmymoney
(which isn't yet for slot 5), I am unwilling to proceed on this laptop.

I will test my desktop later today/this week.

--
Joost