On 12/30/2016 11:43 AM, lee wrote:

"taii...@gmx.com" <taii...@gmx.com> writes:

On 12/30/2016 08:39 AM, lee wrote:

the...@sys-concept.com writes:

I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
[...]
If you want a rock solid machine with lots of cores and RAM and very
capable of powering VMs, the HP Z800 is worthwhile to check out.
[...]
You can build a system with a (new) KGPE-D16, two used 6276 processors
and used 64gb ecc ram for only around $500 which will net you a 32
core computer that can run blob free no microcode coreboot that
supports max 256GB RDIMM RAM.
Including an excellent 850W power supply, a good case, SAS RAID
controller and a graphics card?

The 6276 is a more power hungry than a Xeon and runs at only 2.3GHz
(though I don't know how that compares to the Xeon).  Power consumption
is an issue for me because electricity is way too expensive here.

Asus doesn't seem to say anything about coreboot?

There is another coreboot compatible (theoretically, but not tested)
QP max 1TB (jesus christ) RDIMM RAM G34 motherboard, so you could have
64 cores for only $20 or so per 16 cores. (plus the $30 for a cpu
cooler)
It's good to have so many options to choose from :)  Considering all
this, is there a good reason to go for an FX-8350?

Ahh good point, I was assuming he already had a case like I did. I have a single 6274 plus graphics card with a *quality* 500watt PSU and it works fine at full load. 6 cores vs 16 cores and coreboot with zero blobs or microcode, IMO the power consumption is greatly worth it.

Asus didn't implement coreboot on the kgpe-d16 (asus sucks), it was done by the firmware heroes at raptor engineering.

6276 actually runs at 2.6ghz with turbo assuming you have proper cooling, and 8 cores can turbo to 3.2ghz if the other 8 are in CC6.

If you care about linux you will care about free firmware, if we do not care one day microsoft will simply flip a switch and shut us out for good ("secure" boot 2.0 spec does not mandate the option to disable it)