On 01/09/2017 10:15 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
On 01/09/2017 12:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 01/09/2017 10:09 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
170105 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 01/05/2017 08:05 AM, wabe wrote:
Make sure that you have also enabled CONFIG_DRM.
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION=y
For nvidia, these need to be all disabled.  Then it should work.

I had a previous thread re Kernel 4.9.0 + Nvidia 375.26 (now stable).
I tried recompiling that kernel with DRM disabled,
& remerged Nvidia 375.26 , but X won't start.

The nvidia driver isn't "automatic". It's not used by X.Org by default.
X.Org only uses its own drivers by default.

For the nvidia driver, you need a conf file. Something like this in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf:

http://pastebin.com/raw/0y3NMndp

The nvidia driver has a tool to help with this too, it's called
`nvidia-xconfig`.

Which creates a global config IIRC. It's better to use a xorg.conf.d file instead of a global one. Let X.Org do auto-configuration for everything else, and just use xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf for the nvidia driver only.