On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 06:57:16PM +0700, Robin Atwood wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2017, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
> > Try to login as a new user (or move your home directory out of the
> > way). If it works start selectively deleting dot files/directories
> > from your home directory. Start with .cache, .kde4 and everything that
> > starts with a k in .config and .local and go from there. I had the
> > exact same problem when I upgraded one of my laptops and that's how I
> > fixed it. Also delete anything in /var/cache and any files belonging
> > to your uses in /tmp and /run.
> >
> > You can also try switching to a VT and kill plasmashell and if it
> > doesn't restart automatically start it with the DISPLAY environment
> > variable properly set.
> >
> > Also look at the system logs, .xsession-errors, xorg logs, etc for
> > clues. You can also run kdebugdialog5 from another DE to enable a lot
> > of kde debug output to the system logs.
> >

> I said above that I created a new user and got exactly same problem, so that
> pretty much excludes old files as a possibility.

A short while ago Plasma (5.8.5) started crashing right after login on my
PC. I have no idea why, even a clean user didn’t help. But I could still run
KDE normally when running startx from the TTY. But then other stuff didn’t
work, such as mounting media as a user. Eventually I tried a different login
manager (sddm instead of lightdm) and it worked again. Too bad – I don’t
really like sddm because it is not keyboard friendly (well, lightdm is not
that much better either, I truely miss kdm).

In the end, I still started with a fresh user config, because I used the
opportunity to clean away old KDE 4 stuff. And since this cost me two days’
spare time already, I can’t be bothered with it anymore. :/

--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.

It’s a pity that at the end of the money there’s so much month left.