On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Alan Grimes <alonz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:

>> AFAIK, when you load the kernel directly from the EFI firmware, it has
>> to have the ".efi" suffix. But that doesn't explain why it would stall
>> when loaded from grub...
>>
>> Somewhat OT: Regarding grub, your "/boot/" is messy. It might not be
>> making a difference for (efi)-grub2's functioning but you have grub1
>> files (*stage1_5), grub2 bios files (i386-pc/), as well as grub2 efi
>> files (x86_64-efi/).
>
> Yeah, I've been using that directory for many many long years, I ended
> up removing the grub directory completely and re-installing, it's much
> cleaner now.

ACK. I just thought that I'd point it out.

> I think there's something with how I'm compiling the kernel and the EFI
> boot requirements aren't quite being met and the loader is trying to
> execute non-code or some other error of that general nature. But that's
> just a brainstorm, I really hate it when my machine gives me this kind
> of problem where I don't even have an error message.

If you're loading the kernel from grub, you don't have to compile the
efi stub/stuff into the kernel.

> #### FROM GRUB.CFG #####
>
> echo 'Loading Linux 4.6.7 ...'
> <<<< it successfully executes this line
> linux /vmlinuz-4.6.7 root=/dev/sda2 ro
> <<<< but fails before the first output from the kernel

Looking at your grub.cfg, I wonder whether "linux /vmlinuz-4.6.7 ..."
is correct.

Looking at your original "tree" output, it looks like you're mounting
the ESP at "/boot" and that grub's being loaded from
"/boot/EFI/gentoo/grubx64.efi".

What are the grub.cfg lines that start with "search" and "set root"?