On Thursday 02 February 2017 00:21:29 Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now I have an emerge mystery myself: It claims boost is blocked by  ...
> nothing. See yourself:
> - emerge tells me that boost is for whatever reason blocked
> - I cannot find any entry for this in /etc/portage/**
> - eix does not show any kind of mask for 1.62.0-r1
> - none of the installed packages show a condition preventing an update
>
> Any idea?
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg
>
> ============= %< ===============
> $ emerge -uDvta --changed-use --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=50 world
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
>
> !!! The following update has been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies:
>
> dev-libs/boost:0
>
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-util/boost-build-1.62*" have been
> masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - dev-util/boost-build-1.62.0-r1::gentoo (masked by: )
>
> (dependency required by "dev-libs/boost-1.62.0-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
> For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
> man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
>

> Nothing to merge; quitting.
[...]

Hah! I had the exact same problem.  And I solved it in the dumbest possible
way: running the exact same emerge command repeatedly until the error went
away.  I *wish* I knew what the root cause is (actually, no, I don't), but
that worked on two different systems.  It can take a few retries, though
(three on my laptop, IIRC, but just one on my desktop).

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup