On February 4, 2017 8:22:45 AM GMT+01:00, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>On 02/03/2017 11:19 PM, Dale wrote:
>> the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> I've not install Gentoo for some time and have some questions.
>>>
>>> It is Solid State Disk 1TB
>>> I'm using Minimal CD (Bootable USB)
>>> Created three partition (I did not create SWAP as I have 16GB or
>RAM)
>>> I used "fdisk" and follow the instruction from:
>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks
>>>
>>> Though, I'm a bit confused. I did not see the change root command in
>>> those instructions.
>>> Right now I have a prompt: "livecd ~ #"
>>>
>>> and all instruction on the installation page showing: "root #"
>>>
>>> I've created a user: "livecd ~ #useradd -m -G users john"
>>> Will it take effect I'm still inside "livecd" environment.
>>>
>>> I'm confused a bit.
>>

>> It's been a while since I did a install as well plus I'm old as well.
>> skimmed your link and don't think you should be creating a user at
>that
>> point.  If I recall correctly, creating users is done shortly before
>> rebooting into the new install or even after rebooting.  Usually, I
>do
>> it after rebooting.  Generally, I'm more concerned with my new kernel
>> booting etc rather than having a user account, besides root of
>course.
>> Do set the root password BEFORE booting into the new install.  It
>makes
>> life easier.  ;-)
>>
>> The chroot command usually comes shortly after downloading and
>unpacking
>> the stage3 tarball.  Until you have that, you don't have anything to
>> chroot into yet.
>>
>> I might add, I like a all in one page guide.  For me, it seems easier
>> scroll down, do what is there, scroll down some more etc.  It being
>in
>> sections may be easier for you tho.  Use what works.  Also, I read
>over
>> the guide at least twice before I start.  The first time I did a
>Gentoo
>> install, I read it half a dozen times in some spots.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>
>Thanks Dale, that new installation is not going well.
>I've change the environment and my prompt is still: "(chroot) livecd
>/#"
>
>emerge --sync gives me error:
>"/etc/portage/make.conf", line 11: Invalid variable name
>'-Wl,--hash-style'
>
>Line 11 in make.conf:
>USE="-qt4 -hal -arts -berkdb -acl X gtk dvd alsa cdr cups apache2 ssl
>foomaticdb truetype kpathsea ppds mysql udev java tiff png usb  scanner
>gimp gimpprint cgi fam nptl t$
>
>Here is complete make.conf
>
>CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe
>CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>#LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu"
>MAKEOPTS="-j9"

> [...]

Please sanitize your make.conf file.
I am seeing some lines ending with $.
Not all lines have the closing quotes.

Your global USE flags contain some that no longer exist (Dale's favourite "hal"
being one of them :)  )

Also, I have 32GB ram in my desktop and I do have a swap partition. When I am
working, it does get used.
Software keeps using more memory. So do 27 cc jobs (jobs 9 for make and jobs 3
for emerge).

I would re-condiser not using swap unless you are certain you will never need
more than 16gb. (Eg. No graphical desktop running a few webbrowsers)

--
Joost