Well, my opinion was (and is) to wait. You aren't losing anything and
you're winning stability. Sorry, I meant X.org 7 instead of X.org.
Obviously, I knew that X.org is in portage !! ;)

Bye and thanks !!

2005/10/7, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Rafael Fernández López schreef:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've read something somewhere that have amazed me... Is X.org
> > developing new ATI drivers, better far from ATI.com ?
>
> Yes and no... I think what you're talking about is most likely the open
> source r300 drivers (similar in effect to the open source 'radeon'
> kernel drivers that are available for the 9500 and below).
>
> More information can be found on these drivers here:
>
> http://r300.sourceforge.net/R300.php
>
> As far as I know, although the r300 project's code is available to X.org
> (and in fact has been accepted into the CVS tree), the project itself is not
> associated with, or rather is separate from, the X.org project itself.
>

> > If that's affirmative... We will be able to use Damage extension (and
> >  Composite extension) with ati rendering ?
>
> No idea, since I don't know what the Damage extension is/does, and afaik
> the Composite extension is not yet complete or stable, so it doesn't
> 'matter' whether it works atm-- ATI themselves don't want to 'waste'
> resources on supporting Composite until it's done, so I can't imagine
> that the Open Source project is going to focus on it yet either (having
> less resources and information than ATI themselves).
>

> > And when is X.org going to be able on portage ?
>
> As noted on the r300 site, 'The latest source code is available directly
> from Xorg, Mesa and DRM CVS trees.'
>
> I would assume that 'the Xorg, Mesa and DRM CVS trees' are the
> development trees for modular X.org (X.org 7, is that?).
>
> Ebuilds for these are available in Portage, they're just hard-masked.
> Myself, I'm not prepared to touch them with a 20-foot/metre pole, but
> perhaps you are.
>
> If not, then it would be better to wait until upstream stabilizes a
> release, and the ebuilds stabilize to at least ~arch. Perhaps the Xorg
> site has a target date for the next release; I haven't looked. I would
> at least imagine that their development mailing list would give a better
> idea as to how close to release they might be.
>
> I'm happy to wait, but that's just my opinion, and it's your choice what
> you decide to do.
>
> HTH,
> Holly
> --

Saludos,
Rafael Fernández López.

"A la vista de suficientes ojos todos los errores resultan evidentes"
- Linus Torvalds