Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 18/02/2017 00:08, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Are the virtualbox-guest-additions on portage for folks who are
>> running VirtualBox vms on there gentoo OS?
>>
>> Or are they for a Vbox vm where gentoo is being installed, and the
>> host is something else.
>

> * app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions
>      Available versions:  4.3.38 (~)4.3.40 (~)5.0.16 (~)5.0.30 5.0.32
> (~)5.1.12 (~)5.1.14 {X KERNEL="linux"}
>      Homepage:            http://www.virtualbox.org/
> for Gentoo guests
>

> So it is the latter
>

>> I ask, because I'm installing gentoo into a vm on a windows host.
>> I've done this quite a few times.
>>
>> And the vbox pkg that gets installed on windows always has the
>> guest-additions supplied internally.
>>
>> That is I've installed the virtualbox-guest-additions from the vbox
>> package installed on the win10 host.
>>
>> Or is it expected that for gentoo, one is to install the
>> guest-additions thru portage (when the host is not gentoo)
>
> Err no, that would be impossible (for all practical intent)
>

>> Jesus, that sounds complicated.
>>
>> All I'm trying to ask is if you are installing a vbox vm with gentoo
>> os in a non-gentoo host are you expected to install the
>> guest-additions thru portage.
>
> You install virtualbox-guest-additions on a Gentoo guest VM.
> What is running on the host is irrelevant

Still not my question... sorry for the unduly doopy forumutation.

I know guest-additions gets installed into a vbox vm once installed.

Until this go around and I've done quite a few installs of gentoo into
vbox vms ... but always installed the guest addtions that are already
present in the vbox package.  Not from portage.... as my host is win-10.

That is, click the devices menu at the top of the vbox screen and
click `install guest addtions'.  Go  to /media/cdrom and install them
with ./NAME_addtions.run.

I never installed them from portage... and had no idea they were even
available on portage.

Now if you are using the portage VBox package and installing vms on a
gentoo host, then it makes sense to get the guest-additions on
portage.