Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@skynet.be> [17-02-19 14:04]:
> Hi,
>
> sometime I have some memory hungry ebuilds in the background, when I
> start (e.g.) Chromium which needs very much memory if you have a lot of
> open tabs.
>
> In that case my system nearly freezes. I cannot even kill chrome.
> What can I do in that case. (Remote login doesn't work either)
>
> Can I have any additional program (like Chromium) die if there is not
> enough memory.
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut

Hi Helmut,

I know that situation very well...additionally I have Blender
open...

But I think that the "freeze" of the system is not due to the memory
amount but due to the heavy I/O while swapping.

May be a tool like ionice could help you to keep the possibility
of killing certain processes. Ionice the emerge itself and additinally
nice it also.
The emerge may take longer, but a frozen system is even slower...
;)

HTH!
Cheers
Meino