Miroslav Rovis <miro.ro...@croatiafidelis.hr> writes:

> On 170226-09:42-0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> > Example at the beginning:  [32;01m *
>> > Example from the end:   *
>> >
>> > Output to the terminal these would show the text in different colours,
>> > but the output was redirected to a textfile or mishandled in a
>> > copy-paste operation (not sure if screen or tmux does this?).
>> >
>> > Running emerge with `--color n` would have made this log much more
>> > readable. Its size already makes it hard to search.
>>
>> Yes, and I am sorry about that, its just that I could not discern what
>> parts were important.  Still I should have posted only the last
>> 400-500 lines.
>>
>> Just so you know... I did try that. [--color n] The resulting log
>> looked exactly the same.  ...
>
> This is hard to believe. I just tried, and either:
>
> --color n
>
> or:
>
> --color=n
>
> added to the emerge line, worked.

Are you looking at the Terminal output?  If so that is not what I
posted.

I did mention that yes `--color n' kills the color in terminal output.

Read the whole paragraph you quote 1 sentence from above.

This is the end of that para:

". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't expect
anyone would have noticed the comment... but it does seem a bit off
that I see no differernce here.  That is, no difference in the actual
log emerge creates. I do see the difference in the terminal output."

But as I mentioned what I posted was not the terminal output but the
actual log that emerge creates for you.. and points you to when a
failure occurs.

I just checked it again and I know that is what happens.  That is,
setting `--color n' kills the color ouput at the terminal however the
`build.log' still contains all the color sequences.

I'm already viewed dimly for posting so much junk so rather than post
samples of both ... I'll leave it for you to try yourself.